History

In 1903, Milwaukee Railroad tracks were laid in the area that became known as Boulder Junction. While the railroad was built to serve the booming logging industry, the new railroad access also attracted outdoors enthusiasts who came to fish and hunt the area’s beautiful forests and crystal clear lakes. Resorts were built to accommodate the growing number of tourists.

Electricity arrived in 1925 and the Town of Boulder Junction was incorporated in 1927. Phone service was added to the area in 1930. During the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps replanted the trees that had been harvested from the land during the logging boom of the previous decades. The majestic forests you see today are a result of the large-scale planting efforts of the 1930s.

A great place to learn about the history of Boulder Junction and the surrounding area is the Boulder Junction Historical Society Museum, located on Hwy M South, next to the Community Center. The museum’s exhibits include Pioneer Corner, items from the logging era and historic photos. The museum is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Tuesdays and Saturdays from 10am to 2pm, and by chance throughout the rest of the year. Admission is free. For information on special showings, contact Josie Allen at 715-385-2617.

Learn how Boulder Junction came to be called the “Musky Capital of the World®.”