NOTE: Due to the uncertainty surrounding the current COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak, many of our upcoming events have been postponed or canceled. If and when these events are rescheduled, we will be here to provide you with the most up-to-date information possible. For information about a specific event, please contact the event organizer(s). Thank you!
- This event has passed.
BJVFD Community Blood Drive
April 2 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
The Boulder Junction Volunteer Fire Department will be hosting a Community Blood Drive in collaboration with the Community Blood Center on Thursday, April 2nd from 2-6 p.m. at the fire station, 5388 Park Street (County Hwy. M) in Boulder Junction.
Says Community Blood Center Northwoods account manager Talitha Uhrmann, “Please rest assured that we are practicing social distancing and increased sanitation at this time at all blood drive locations.”
With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the blood supply situation is serious. A significant number of blood drives have been cancelled, leading to a blood supply that is in jeopardy. The consequences of this will be severe unless we do something. The Community Blood Center encourages your to schedule a blood donation appointment.
Peter Marks, M.D., Ph.D., director of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research is also sharing the urgent message to the public, “We need people to start turning out in force to give blood.”
The need for blood in area hospitals, and the 35,000 donations needed daily nationwide, has not changed. Patients navigating cancer and undergoing necessary medical treatments often rely on blood products. They are relying on volunteer blood donors because there quite simply is no substitute.
Here’s what the Community Blood Center is doing to ensure the safest donation environment possible:
- Appointments Only: Making and keeping blood donation appointments is very important at this time. Scheduling appointments ensure that the Community Blood Center is reinforcing social distancing and able to manage the number of people on site at once.
- Enhanced Physical Registration Process: To protect donor’s physical space and minimize exposure to other donors.
- Additional Sanitizing: In addition to the already rigorous cleaning process.
- Hand Wash & Cough Etiquette: Is practiced by all staff members.
- Limited Staffing: It is the Community Blood Center’s objective to provide as quick a donation process as possible while reinforcing social distancing and the number of people gathered together at any one time. The Community Blood Center has appropriately allocated staff to ensure the best and safest donation experience possible at this time.
The Community Blood Center is highly concerned about the immediate future of its blood supply and needs your help.
To reserve a donation appointment time, call Boulder Junction Volunteer Fire Department EMS Service Director Daniell Wahlgren at 715-604-2020 or the Community Blood Center at 1-800-280-4102.