SKI: 7.5K Cross-Country Ski (Classic or Skate) Course
STOMP: 6K Snowshoe Course
BIKE: 7.5K Fat Tire Bike Course
Forest Frenzy courses are not your typical winter races trails. These trails are tucked in the tall trees beginning at Camp Manito-wish YMCA and leading into the Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest. We have widened existing trails to accommodate the race. You will find that this is a challenging wilderness endurance event with some tight turns and narrow areas. Some of the course does cross other public use trails.
Divisions and Awards:
- Individuals, ages 15-70+: Medals will be awarded to the top male and female in each of the following age categories in both classic and skate ski divisions: 15-19; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59, 60-69, 70+. Award plaques to the top male finisher and top female finisher overall in each ski division.
- 3-Person Relay: Three people will each complete one leg of the course. A plaque for each member of the top relay team in both the classic and skate ski divisions will be awarded.
- All athletes finishing the race will receive a participation medal.
The race begins promptly at 10am at Manito-wish Leadership Center. The race time limit is set at 1:50pm. If any participant has not passed the finish line and exceeds this limit, they will be disqualified to receive an award medal but can continue to complete the course and receive a completion time and participation medal. Failure to heed the commands of a race official means disqualification.
Check-in/Packet Pick-up & Walk-in Registration:
Camp Manito-wish Leadership Center, 5650 Camp Manitowish Lane on Friday, February 16 from 5pm to 7:30pm and Saturday morning from 7:30am to 9am. Walk-in registrations accepted until 9:00am on Saturday.
Photo ID required! Racers will pick-up their race packet and may ask questions about the course and event.
Friday, February 16 – Aqualand Alehouse Pasta Night– Enjoy your pre-race dinner and some fine craft beer on Friday, and then come back to celebrate your completion with a great BBQ Ribs, Potato Hash and Slaw dinner by the fire on Saturday Evening! We’re there for you! We will offer two Forest Frenzy specials Friday: Baked Poor Man’s Lobster served over a bed of mixed vegetables and orzo pasta or Chef’s Special Pasta Bowl. Open 11am-9pm
Saturday, February 17 – The Outdoorsman Restaurant
All participants get an extra 10% off breakfast or lunch on Saturday!
Trail Preview: Trail preview is from 1pm to 5pm on Friday, February 16. Cross-county ski and snowshoe only. No bikes during trail preview. We will be grooming the course Friday evening and do not want racers using the trail after final grooming.
Warming Route: Do to logistics at Camp Manito-wish YMCA, we are not offering a warming route on-site. The parking area is 1/4 mile from the staging area so you will have an opportunity to run for warm-up if you would like, or off-site trails could be used prior to arrival.
Waxing Area: The is no indoor waxing area available. We advise that skis should be waxed in advance. For classic skiers only, a short kick wax test trail will be located near the Camp parking lot for your use prior to the race on Saturday morning from 7:30am to 9am. This trail is noted on the course map and entrances to the trail will be marked with orange cones.
Race Start Line:
Race begins promptly at 10am at the start line near Manito-wish Leadership Center. Waves will be assigned at orientation. Waves consisting of 2 triathletes will be released every 1 minute (60 seconds). Expert levels will start in 1st waves, followed by intermediate then beginners.
Race Finish Line:
The Finish line is at Manito-wish Leadership Center and we expect to conclude on or around 1:50pm. Followed by an awards ceremony at 2:15pm or earlier depending on when the last racer crosses the finish line.
Soup, hot beverages, bottled water and fruit will be available at the finish line for all participants upon completion of the race.
The Awards Ceremony will be held inside Manito-wish Leadership Center at 2:15pm, or earlier depending on when the last racer crosses the finish line.
Participation medals will be awarded to all athletes completing the triathlon as an individual or relay team participant at the finish line.
Soup luncheon 11am-3pm:
- A soup luncheon at the Manito-wish Leadership Center for the participants, their friends and family, as well as the general public.
- Participants will receive lunch and beverage by showing their bib.
- Please note: Camp Manito-wish YMCA is an alcohol-free facility. Enjoy adult beverages after the race in one of our local establishments.
- Family and friends may purchase food for a small fee.
- Relax and enjoy the fun with your family and friends!
Check out Boulder Junction’s quaint and historic downtown. Visit local shops and galleries. Saturday evening Pub Crawl throughout Boulder Junction. Stamp your card and enter to win a complimentary entry to the 2019 Forest Frenzy Winter Triathlon! Businesses participating in the Pub Crawl are:
Sunday Fun Day: Make it a weekend to remember and enjoy!
- Attend the Boulder Junction Snowmobile Club Breakfast between 8:30am and 11am at Headwaters Restaurant.
- Ice Fish any of the 194 beautiful lakes in the 10-mile radius of Boulder Junction.
- Snowshoe, Cross-Country Ski or Fat Tire Bike any one of the many area trails.
- Enjoy a breakfast or lunch at a local restaurant.
- Shop the unique Boulder Junction area stores all day at your own leisurely pace.
- Detailed information and trail maps can be found right here on our website or calling the Boulder Junction Chamber at 1-800-GO-MUSKY.
Restrooms or portable toilets located:
- Camp Manito-wish YMCA transition area
- Inside Manito-wish Leadership Camp
Safety and First Aid Stations: In the case of emergency, call 911. Safety and first aid stations will be available at the transition/finish line staffed by volunteers from the Boulder Junction Fire Department and EMTs. There will be a warming hut at #51 were the ski/bike and snowshoe course intersect. Race sweepers will be on the course throughout the event. It is your job as a participant to help another racer if they are in distress and need help.
Equipment: Please remember to bring:
- Bike helmet, bike, snowshoes, cross-country ski equipment, and cold weather clothing.
- Please note: Conditions will dictate the best choice of equipment. Please check the weather forecast here. Trail conditions will be posted when the snow flies.
- Filled beverage/water bottles, a smile and great attitude!
- No waxing equipment or space with be available on-site.
LIMITED Rentals Available At:
- Chequamegon Adventure Company for skis, snowshoes & fat tire bikes: 715-356-1618
- Coontail for skis, snowshoes & fat tire bikes: 888-874-0885
Severe Weather Policy:
- Your safety is our number one concern.
- Race officials will monitor the weather and course conditions closely the week of the race. We will keep participants aware of any alterations to the schedule or alert registered athletes if the race has been postponed or cancelled via email and Facebook notifications.
- All or any part of the race may be delayed or cancelled due to severe weather conditions.
- If weather is favorable, but trail conditions are poor, the race may be modified. In this event, notification to registered triathletes would be made via email and Facebook notifications.
- The triathlon will be cancelled if the high for the day is -5F or colder.
- The triathlon will be postponed 1.5 hours if the high at the starting time (9:50am) is forecast to be -10F.
- Please dress for all-weather conditions and plan accordingly.
- NO REFUNDS will be issued if competition must be modified, shortened or cancelled due to weather conditions. Registered triathletes will receive their participant gift, if picked up in person, or they can be mailed upon request only.
Please call us with any questions you may have!
Theresa Smith, Executive Director, Boulder Junction Chamber of Commerce: 1-800-GO-MUSKY or 715-385-2400